I was at a dinner party last year and we got to talking about our dogs. A couple started talking about the songs they sing to their dogs. They even gave us a tast of the little theme songs they have for when their dogs get a ride in the car or have dinner. I almost fell over, because my husband and I do that, too. I thought we were the only ones (and kudos for that brave couple for bringing it up, because I never would have mentioned it).
Here’s a totally unsolicited sampler of the songs we sing to our dogs:
- (To the tune of “Flipper”) – “They called him Raleigh, Raleigh, Raleigh the collie. No one could be, fluffy as he …. “
- (To the tune of “I Want Candy”) – “I want kibble”
- (At mealtime, to the Christmas carol tune) – “It’s the most wonderful time of the day!”
- (From The Donner Party’s song, adopted by Home Grocer.com) – “Would you like to have something to eat? Would you like to have biscuits and meat?” (Drives ‘em crazy at mealtime.)
- I used to sing to my dachshund, “I’m a little Dachshund, short and stout. Here is my tail and here is my snout.”
I think this is much more prevalent than previously realized. We’re all just (understandably) reluctant to talk about it. But I’m totally intrigued by this. So help me out. What songs do you sing to your dog when you go for a ride, or go to the dog park, or get ready for bed?